Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Lunar eclipse caused the Crescent mark on my forehead!!!


On 22nd July morning (2009); starting from 6:24 AM there was a total eclipse of the Sun along a corridor of India. Starting from Surat, the solar eclipse could be seen in and around Vadodara, Bhopal, Varanasi, Patna, Darjeeling and Dibrugarh. Along this corridor, a bright morning turned into the night for almost four minutes. For the rest of India the eclipse appeared as; close to a total and partial eclipse. However, it was not visible in Hyderabad and many more places due to dark rain-carrying clouds. This long-duration total eclipse was of great scientific and historic importance because the next one is going to occur only after 123 years!

There are many common traditions and superstitions followed by millions of Indians during and after an eclipse. We are not supposed to eat during the duration of an eclipse, and food prepared before an eclipse should be discarded. In case of food with long-lasting shelflife and those that have to be compulsorily preserved, the food should be covered with a lid, and fine short grass called ‘Garkha’ in Telugu should be placed on it during the duration of the eclipse. And during the eclipse, women in the family way (pregnant) are not to move around, they are to stay indoors and lie down and remain still. They should not hold sharp items like scissors, knives, needles, keys etc., because of the fear of children being born with cleft lips and deformities. After the eclipse; the flooring in the house is washed, everyone takes a bath, the Pooja room is cleaned, and all the photos and idols of Gods are washed, decorated and lamps lit before the images of Gods. Lakhs of people who may find it convenient go and take a dip in holy rivers to cleanse themselves from the ill effects of the eclipse. Only after bathing and pooja, fresh food is prepared for the day.

All the temples in the area of the eclipse are closed. After the eclipse, the temple premises are cleaned and special poojas are performed for the well-being of everyone. In case the eclipse coincides with the school and office commencement timings, the reporting time is rescheduled to suit the fulfilment of eclipse-related traditions and superstitions.

Interestingly, most elders in our family believe that a Lunar eclipse left a physical mark on me. I was born by Caesarean operation and there was a pink Crescent mark on my forehead. When my maternal grandmother saw this she began to weep and quarrel with the doctors and staff stating that they have injured the baby. The doctors convinced her and everyone that it has nothing to do with the operation. They said that it is neither a bleeding cut nor a superficial scar but a fine soft Crescent-shape growth and it is a sort of birthmark. Then my grandmother started blaming my mother for this mark. I was born on November 16th and three months before my birth in August, there was a Lunar eclipse when my mother was asked to lie still as per the superstitions explained above. Even as my grandmother was protesting my brother who is elder than me by 4 years went to my mother crying and asked her to make a Train using empty matchboxes like the one in the above picture. My mother made a Train by arranging the matchboxes on her stomach. So my grandmother believed that this mark on my forehead is because of my mother’s Train making activity during the eclipse. My grandmother believed in this theory and told everyone in the family and outside about it for decades. So everyone in the family thought so! This is a prominent Crescent mark, 60mm long and similar to a two-day-old waxing moon! It was much more prominent during my younger days. It is my birthmark in all known records.

Hope this blog post doesn't catch the attention of Indian TV channels or non-believers of these eclipse-related traditions and superstitions, there would be infinite debates, condemnations and assents!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Have the Birds Gone, from Srilekha?

Where have the birds gone, from Srilekha? Their wings, once vibrant, are now silent in flight, The birdbaths, forlorn, yearn for their c...