Driving distractions are the leading cause of most vehicle crashes, all over the world. Distracted driving is any activity that could divert a person’s attention away from the PRIMARY TASK OF DRIVING. All distractions endanger driver, fellow passengers, occupants of other vehicles and bystanders. Beware, distracted and irresponsible driving is unsafe, in a split second its consequences can be devastating.
Driving requires your FULL ATTENTION & ALERTNESS to safely control your vehicle and respond to events happening on the roads around you, rough roads and rogue drivers. Driving involves constant coordination between your mind and body. You have to avoid distractions.
There are three types of distractions and they are anything that take your…..
· EYES OFF the ROAD
· MIND OFF the ROAD
· HANDS OFF the STEERING WHEEL
AND ALWAYS REMEMBER TO:
· STAY FOCUSSED
· PAY ATTENTION
· EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED
Due to overconfidence and a strong belief that nothing would ever happen to them; many drivers behave irresponsibly. It is not correct, because the experience of our friends involved in accidents, news about accidents and statistics tell us that most accidents are due to driver distractions. Here is a long list of common ‘driver distractions’. PLEASE AVOID THEM & see that all drivers known to you avoid them.
· Talking over Cell phone
· Checking SMS & Texting
· Adjusting Rear & Side view mirrors
· Controlling Radio
· Controlling Music System
· Checking and Changing CD
· Adjusting Air conditioning controls
· Reading maps or any other information
· Reaching and moving objects in the vehicle
· Looking sideways at happenings on the roads
· Looking at roadside accidents
· Looking at construction works
· Peeping at Street names and addresses
· Focusing on the scenic beauty around
· Reading billboards
· Peeping out of the window
· Spitting, a dirty Hyderabadi habit
· Distraction due to TV or any Video in vehicle
· Distraction due to loud music
· Distraction due to excessive conversation
· Distraction due to argument
ALWAYS FOCUS ON YOUR DRIVING. WHATEVER ELSE YOU WANT TO DO, DO BEFORE YOU START DRIVING OR STOP SAFELY ENROUTE FOR ATTENDING TO THE ERRAND.
In case someone is sitting by your side let her/him handle the Radio or Music system and attend to your Cell phone calls to state that you cannot be disturbed while driving and handle AC controls and carry other errands like giving you driving directions.
Be well-rested and in the appropriate mindset to drive. Driving while you are upset or angry can be just as dangerous as driving when you are tired.
Ensure all passengers are buckled-up properly.
Allow sufficient time to reach your destination.
Ensure your vehicle is properly maintained.
Do not tailgate.